Asian bond volume in the G3 currencies notably dropped in 2022 and the first half of 2023, as the market grappled with the US Federal Reserve’s interest rate hikes. Rate volatility and geopolitical concerns made the international market an expensive and difficult one for borrowers to navigate.
Issuers around the region turned to local currencies, finding attractive pricing and strong investor demand. Beyond local issuance, European banks, for example, utilised the Singapore dollar and Australian dollar markets.
As the challenges that plagued the global markets in 2022 show no signs of abating, issuers seem likely to continue to take advantage of their local currency options, shunning US dollars in the meantime.
The IFR Asia Local Currency Debt Financing Roundtable will take place in Singapore on the afternoon of Thursday October 26, 2023. Moderated by IFR Asia’s Editor Daniel Stanton, an expert panel will discuss how borrowers are using Asian local currency bonds to meet their financing needs, and where the value lies.
- Jerome Tay – Investment Analyst, Fixed Income, Abrdn.
- Anuj Awasthi - Vice President for Operations, Credit Guarantee and Investment Facility.
- Mitsuhiro Yamawaki – Deputy Chief Executive Officer / Chief Risk Officer, Credit Guarantee and Investment Facility
- Muralidharan Ramakrishnan – Senior Director, Head of South & South-East Asia Energy & Utilities, Fitch Ratings.
- Sean Henderson – Co-Head, Debt Capital Markets, Asia Pacific, HSBC.
Topics to be covered will include:
- Which local currency markets offer the most depth and breadth for issuers? What limitations are there?
- How have the dynamics of the local currency markets impacted the overall Asian debt market?
- How are international investors looking at local currency bond markets?
- How are borrowers using ESG labels and new structures, such as retail bond sales, to attract investors?
- How have regulators and governments encouraged the development of their local currency bond markets?
The event is free to attend but you must be registered – and you can do so very easily by completing the short form on this page.
Title: The IFR Asia Local Currency Debt Financing Roundtable
Date: Thursday October 26 2023
Time: 2:30pm – 5:00pm SGT
Format: In-person event